- Board Certified in Internal Medicine (American Board of Internal Medicine, # 87198)
- Board Certified in Psychiatry (American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, # 35479)
- Board Certified in Hypnotherapy (International Board of Hypnotherapy, # F11115-248)
- On faculty at University of North Carolina, Vanderbilt University, Brown University during career
- Currently on faculty at University of New Mexico School of Medicine
While still a medical student in the 1970s, I decided to complete specialty training in both Internal Medicine and Psychiatry. The rift between body and mind that was so prominent in the medical teaching of that time made little intuitive sense to me. This unusual decision puzzled both student colleagues and professors, but I felt strongly that I was on the right professional path.
I had a long and productive career in practicing mainstream Medicine and Psychiatry. I have also contributed to medical research, medical education, and medical executive management. Much of my clinical work involved treating the emotional and medical consequences of losses and traumas. I believe I did a great deal of good for many patients during that phase of my career.
I remain committed to healing patients, in body and mind. I now redirect my knowledge and energy to relieve suffering in a deeply integrated way, by guiding patients to use their own innate healing capabilities. I have seen that this can be accomplished in most people, without the need for extensive procedures and medications, by means of a compassionate professional relationship built on words, imagination, and actions.
I hope you will work with me to relieve your suffering and create a path for achieving a sound body and a free mind.
–Gregory M. Gillette, M.D.